300 operations managers were surveyed in the U.K., U.S., and Germany by Sphera. The survey showed that 85% of companies have net-zero strategies. Yet, the majority of them are failing to incorporate these strategies into daily business operations. Operations managers have reported that only 41% are seeing sustainability strategies produce significant changes in their daily practices and 32% are saying their firms do not align with science-based emissions targets. Many are also reporting that accountability for net-zero relies on those that are at the top and 42% of operations managers are receiving little to no encouragement for suggestions on improving sustainability practices. Despite this, operations managers are the most passionate about sustainability and 35% of them describe themselves as being highly supportive of the need for climate action.
Paul Marushka, Sphera’s CEO and president, says: “With high levels of personal and professional commitment to sustainability, operations managers have emerged as the secret weapon for businesses in the fight for more sustainable operations. Yet many companies are experiencing a gap between carbon pledges and operational practices because of limited involvement by operations managers. Our report finds that operations managers have the influence and desire to help drive decarbonization across business operations, supplier and partner networks. Now, what they need are the data, software and best practices to do so.”
- 95% say net-zero accountability sits solely with C-suite and board of directors, and responsibilities are not being shared with operations managers.
- 40% of operations managers want carbon targets included in their performance reviews, and many are passionate about climate change action.
- 73% of companies are already actively exploring or addressing the challenge of Scope 3 emissions, and 43% percent of operations managers are already discussing sustainability issues with suppliers and partners.
- 22% of operations managers say regulations are still the main driver of business attention to sustainability initiatives.
- Just 40% of operations managers rate employee engagement with their organization’s sustainability strategy very highly.