FedEx will kick off the holiday season with a bang this year as it expects to move record package volume on Cyber Monday.
The company is predicting to move more than 33 million packages through its global network on the year's biggest online shopping day. The company also expects to more than double its average daily package volume on the two Mondays that follow.
The spikes on Mondays are attributed to weekend online shopping, resulting in orders hitting retailers' shipping cycles early in the week, and driving strong demand for residential delivery.
“E-commerce continues to grow, and FedEx is ready to deliver this holiday and beyond,” says Brie Carere, executive vice president, chief marketing and communications officer, FedEx Corp. “We recognized early on that e-commerce would transform the way our customers shop and ship, and we have invested in a world-class network that flexes to meet volume demands throughout the year.”
Despite the holiday season being four days shorter, the company expects operational intensity to remain the same.
“Our more than 450,000 outstanding team members have worked all year to prepare to deliver the absolute highest level of service for our customers this holiday season,” says Carere.
The company is offering options for customers that make returns easy while also supporting the influx of volume.
- FedEx has expanded its retail network and extended FedEx Office store operating hours to offer consumers more convenience in dropping off their returns. FedEx makes returns easier for consumers and merchants of all sizes with our diverse portfolio of returns transportation and technology solutions.
- Continue to build out FedEx Ground’s large package handling capabilities to accommodate items like TVs and furniture, which consumers are increasingly ordering online. This includes facilities dedicated to sorting large packages, plus new handling equipment in more than 30 FedEx Ground stations in time for the busy holiday shipping season.
- Expansion of FedEx Freight Direct to more than 80 percent of the contiguous U.S. population. The new e-commerce solution offers delivery of bulky items such as furniture, TVs and exercise equipment by FedEx Freight team members into residences and businesses.
- FedEx Ground has begun offering seven-day residential service to customers as part of the ramp-up to the peak season. Throughout this peak and beyond, FedEx Ground will provide seven-day residential delivery to the majority of the U.S. population.
- Will not apply a residential peak surcharge this holiday season. This helps small and medium-sized FedEx customers keep costs low for their customers.
- With FedEx Delivery Manager, package recipients can customize home deliveries to fit their schedules, including changing the time and location of a delivery, requesting a signature upon delivery and leaving instructions for the courier