Andover, Mass. and Munich, Germany—Oct. 17, 2014—Aras, a provider of enterprise product lifecycle management (PLM) software, announced the availability of Aras Component Engineering, connecting IHS CAPS Universe Electronic Component Data to the Aras PLM platform for the engineering of new products and systems. Aras Component Engineering embeds more than 100 million commercial electronic components seamlessly and securely into the Aras PLM environment, providing engineering and sourcing professionals with a single point of access to design, procure and sustain products with electronic components.
Aras Component Engineering was developed in partnership with IHS, the world’s source of business-critical information, insight and analytics. The IHS CAPS Universe database is the premier electronic component database containing part attribute data and documentation on hundreds of millions of parts from more than 2,000 global manufacturers. Together, IHS and Aras streamline and simplify component selection, approval, sourcing and compliance processes, while increasing efficiency and productivity, and reducing regulatory and supply chain risk.
“By putting the world’s component information exactly where designers and purchasing specialists need it, Aras is enabling global manufacturers to make better, faster decisions, and proactively manage changes in cost, availability and compliance early in the product lifecycle,” said Bob Braasch, senior director of parts management at IHS.
Aras Component Engineering
With Aras Component Engineering, users have instant access to complete, current technical data, as well as obsolescence and compliance information, on board-level components from leading manufacturers around the world—without launching multiple browsers or separate applications.
Other features include.
- Parametric/filtered search of over 100 million parts in 400+ categories.
- The ability to search and compare manufacturers’ parts side by side.
- At-a-glance indicators for approved manufacturers and in-use parts.
- Automated workflows to speed approval of new components and suppliers.
- Preferred supplier status using red, yellow and green traffic light indicators.
- Qualified parts status using red, yellow and green traffic light indicators.
- Current and historical datasheets.
- Product change notices (PCNs).
- Internal part requests (IPRs).
- End-of-life (EOL) alerts.
- Environment compliance documentation for Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances (RoHS) and Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemical Substances (REACH).
- Certifications of conflict mineral compliance/conflict minerals reporting template (CMRT).
“We’re expanding the PLM process to include all phases of product development for systems engineering and enabling global manufacturers to innovate on their next-generation products,” said John Sperling, vice president of product management at Aras. “Aras Component Engineering is the latest example of how we’re taking PLM beyond the mechanical computer-aided design (CAD) file management most PLM systems focus on, and into the enterprise and extended supply chain.”