Ann Arbor, MI—April 22, 2016—CIMdata Inc., a global product lifecycle management (PLM) strategic management consulting and research firm, announced the expansion of its Simulation-Driven Systems Development (SDSD) consulting practice with the immediate addition of Frank Popielas.
"We are extremely pleased that Frank Popielas will be joining CIMdata as an executive consultant in the SDSD practice, working closely with Dr. Keith Meintjes (executive consultant, Simulation and Analysis) and Don Tolle (director, Simulation-Driven Systems Development Practice) along with other senior staff members to expand CIMdata's overall management consulting capabilities," stated Peter Bilello, CIMdata's president.
Bilello continued, "Frank brings to CIMdata over 20 years of global experience in product engineering, research and development (R&D), and intellectual property (IP) management, as well as testing and materials development, with a specific focus on the development and application of multi-physics and multi-domain modeling and simulation tools. This included the definition and implementation of the required supporting IT infrastructure for simulation data and process management at Dana Holding Corporation. His expertise includes technology exchange and transfer, and business assessments in engineering and manufacturing, focusing on virtual product engineering, as well as process development and democratization of software applications in this area."
Popielas has been a member of the National Agency for Finite Element Methods and Standards (NAFEMS) Americas Steering Committee since 2011 and the founding chairman of the joint System Modeling and Simulation Working Group (SMSWG) between the NAFEMS and the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) since 2013. His activities and achievements include over 35 granted patents globally on the areas of sealing, shielding and fuel cells; over 30 publications globally covering all the mentioned areas with the main focus in the past decade on virtual product engineering, its tools and practices; numerous presentations and speaking engagements at industry conferences and various companies; interviews, case studies, and teaching engagements at high schools and community colleges.
Popielas was born in Germany, and received his Master of Science degree in engineering, majoring in theoretical physics, from the Technological University (MIS&A-Institute for Steels and Alloys) in Moscow, Russia. He is fluent in English, German and Russian.
Within the expanded SDSD consulting practice, CIMdata offers a broad portfolio of management and engineering consulting services for industrial organizations, as well as for PLM software and service providers and their partners who offer systems simulation, analysis/computer-aided engineering (CAE) and model-based systems engineering solutions. A representative subset of these services and deliverables includes:
- Defining and implementing organizational best practices for model-based systems engineering (MBSE) and simulation lifecycle management within the construct of enterprise PLM processes.
- Assessing the technology, process, and organizational maturity levels for exploiting advancements in systems modeling and simulation solutions, and related MBSE implementation strategies.
- Providing practical technology implementation recommendations and ongoing governance guidance to industrial manufacturing firms.
- Enabling the broader adoption of MBSE strategies and physics-based systems simulation technologies beyond the current early adopters in the aerospace/defense and automotive industries.
- Providing thought leadership by supporting research that promotes the adoption and growth of best-in-class MBSE software applications and related tool-neutral data interoperability standards.
- Workshops to facilitate education and collaboration between industry and solution providers.
- Developing and validating MBSE technology roadmaps for industry with return-on-investment (ROI) benefit models for the deployment of proven, best-in-class processes and technologies.
- Strategic business reviews and product portfolio planning, including identification of growth via organic R&D investment, as well as business mergers and niche technology acquisitions.
- Support of software solution marketing initiatives based on targeted market research of industry trends, end-user requirements and competitive gap analysis.
The SDSD consulting practice will continue to leverage CIMdata's more than 30 years serving both industry and solution providers with management consulting, market research and analysis, and best practices education.