Memphis, Tenn.—Nov. 5, 2012—FedEx Corp. expanded and enhanced its SenseAware service with its next generation SenseAware 2000. This enhanced device offers customers more accurate near real-time location information, improved cellular connectivity and longer battery life. In addition, the added capabilities provide customers with broader international availability and the ability to use the service with carriers outside the FedEx network.
“SenseAware is all about information and the innovative service increases visibility, allowing customers to make better and more timely decisions,” said Carl Asmus, Vice President of Market Development for FedEx. “Our customers now have more actionable intelligence at their fingertips to make informed decisions and identify opportunities to improve their global supply chain, a tremendous value for any business.”
Initially available for shipments only in the U.S., SenseAware can now help customers monitor shipments and inventory in Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and Singapore. SenseAware also targets further international expansion.
“SenseAware provides unmatched visibility and insight into global shipments, which is especially important in this increasingly complex global business environment,” said Asmus. “Our international expansion program is allowing us to better serve our customers by providing access to markets where our customers have a need to monitor their supply chain.”
The SenseAware service is now available on a growing list of air and ground transportation carriers to delivere more transportation options to customers in order to better fit their specific needs and still benefit from the peace of mind and quality assurance provided by SenseAware. Beyond the FedEx network, the service is now available on the following carriers:
- Delta Air Lines (including Delta Connection Carriers)
- Southwest Airlines
- United Airlines mainline jets
- Third party ground carriers (when used consistently with their rules and regulations)
- Private fleets
Key application improvements to the SenseAware platform include:
- The SenseAware 2000 device supports a temperature probe which has a temperature measurement range of -80 degrees Celsius to 60 degrees Celsius (-112 degrees Fahrenheit to 140 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Route Geo-fences enable customers to create a geo-fence along the actual route a shipment should follow and set up alerts to notify the customer if the shipment deviates from this pre-established route.
- Environmental Data Specification: when setting up a journey or creating a template, customers can now choose which environmental data, such as temperature, humidity or barometric pressure, is collected. This ensures that the device only collects data for specific environments requested, thus streamlining the amount of information the customer receives.
- Nonevent Geo-fence Triggers: Triggers can be set up to alert or notify customers when geo-fence events do not occur as expected by a specified time. This helps customers determine if a package has gotten off pace or off track.