7. Trade compliance processes must be integrated with supply chain processes.
- Are there documented processes and procedures that define each function's responsibilities in trade?
- Are trade metrics part of normal operational performance reviews?
- Is there employee compliance awareness training and defined roles and responsibilities?
- Are regular internal audits conducted?
8. Unique data that facilitate trade should be accurately created once, stored in a central location and used over and over again.
- Are trade data created and stored in a centralized location?
- Are trade data easy to access? (This includes classification, country of origin, certificates of origin, historical transactions, government inquiries and responses.)
- Are NAFTA certificates of origin easy to locate?
9. Export determination, the process of determining the appropriate government authorization for your transaction, must be performed on all export shipments.
- Do you make proper export determinations at the individual transaction level?
- Do you screen all of your customers, suppliers, distributors, forwarders, brokers, bankers, etc., against the various "bad guy" export lists at time an order is placed and again prior to shipment?
- Do you perform export determination for each hand-carry, temporary export, release of technology, etc., that is outside the normal revenue shipment stream?
About the Author: