Manufacturing Insights recommends three process transformation projects to deliver business benefits in current economic environment
- Networkwide Collaboration & Analytics: Evaluate the alignment of all global supply processes to actual demand, whenever possible (for example, shift focus to a left-to-right, pull-oriented supply chain driven by actual customer demand).
- Align and Balance Supply with Demand: Place high emphasis on incorporating demand, supply, logistics and product design network partners in all aspects of network-wide collaboration and joint performance management.
- Sense and Respond: Invest in the ability to more quickly sense unexpected events, with the ability to globally adapt and respond to them.
- Current cross-industry benchmark studies point to the widening gap between those companies that have harnessed the full competitive benefits of advanced, more agile practices and those that have not.
- Supply chain initiatives need to be reconciled. The ability to source supply chain activities in lower-cost regions must be balanced with the need to support more overall agility and responsiveness.
- Analysis of those companies that have adopted advanced practices indicate that they are more profitable and agile than their industry peers.
- Further research indicates that investing in more mature business practices, followed by advanced IT systems, can result in as much as a 75 percent advantage in net profitability.