The Buying Triangle's Hassan concludes there are six must-have competencies of this valued professional:
- Proven leadership track record in initiating change and challenging the status quo
- Intellectually curious and willing to embrace diverse opinions
- Ability to communicate and sell change
- Risk taker who is not afraid to be held accountable for his/her actions and views
- Desire and ability to demand better information
- Passion for success
Eventually the executive floor will "get it." These highly skilled professionals will work their way to the board room and become empowered to make the changes needed to provide a crop of bottom-line improvements that have been sitting there just waiting for harvest.
About the Author: Cyndi Joiner is managing director and member of the Executive Management Team at Sourcing Interests Group, a provider of ongoing forums and supporting services that assist companies in the sourcing of goods and services and the outsourcing of information technology and business processes. She has 15+ years of leadership experience in the areas of operational procurement, strategic sourcing, supply chain and business process outsourcing.