Make-to-order manufacturers employing these best practices are seeing improved business results characterized by leaner, more efficient operations, cost savings and increased revenue opportunities, maximized competitive edge and differentiation and enhanced operational visibility critical for business agility.
Sidebar: Key Characteristics of the Made-to-order, Build-to-order Production Environment
* Make-to-order custom goods, as opposed to build-to-stock
* Customer order-driven
* Ever changing/evolving: many changes in schedule, specifications, quantity, etc.
* Shorter runs, including lots of one, are the norm
* Erratic customer forecasts
* No finished goods inventories
* Wide mix of products
* Estimating is critical
* Custom product sourcing from suppliers
* Iterative direct collaboration with customers and suppliers
About the Author: Paul Farrell is the senior director, product marketing, for Epicor Manufacturing Solutions. Epicor Manufacturing Solutions are built specifically for the make-to-order manufacturing environment.